Friday, September 1, 2017

Apple galette with wild blackberries


So we survived the yearly August family visits.  Let´s just say I have thoughts about the whole extended family arrangement predicted for the post collapse future. Now, after a couple of days of rain and a sudden drop in temperatures, it feels like we are well and truly heading into fall. 

And I am pleased to offer this easy galette, made with home grown apples from the tree that´s now producing more, and more accessible apples that we had pruned last winter, along with blackberries from the nearby hedges.  No idea what the variety of apple actually is - blushed golden, not too sweet.  I remain unconvinced by the local ¨cooker¨ Reinetta.



Butter crust from Louis P. De Gouy´s The Pie Book, which I had in the freezer.  Galette recipe from Smitten Kitchen.  She´s my go to dessert source.  I did substitute half brown sugar for white, just because I like it more.  Also made a great zucchini bread (courgette) recipe from her site when we were overwhelmed.



Apple/berry filling couldn´t be simpler.  I did go ahead and use the peels and cores for a sugar syrup and basted the whole thing when it came out of the oven.  Perfect balance between not too dry and crumbly, but not soggy.  It is a bit of a faff turning every 15 minutes, but as our oven heats significantly more at the back than the front, just as well.


Hope everyone had a swell summer!

7 comments:

  1. That pastry looks fantastic, did you follow the recipe exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I make it so rarely, that actually I do follow the recipe pretty closely. I use all or half butter, as I find Galician lard to be a little ¨piggy¨ tasting. Once you get the fat incorporated into the flour, the cold water part is pretty much by feel.

    I´m really pleased that these apples will do for cooking. Not too sweet, and they didn´t turn to mush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Coco!

    I wish I had some - it looks so delicious! And the pastry is perfection.

    Your family tired you out a bit, did they?

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam,

    Well yes, while quite nice people, they´re elderly and have their health issues. But mostly, after 60 odd years together, they have no patience whatsoever with each other.

    But, they said they ate well and slept well, so I count that as a successful vacation. And Breo was a gentleman the entire time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Coco,

    Your apple and blackberry dessert is kitchen art. It looks so good. I am both impressed and also salivating!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chris! I think pie crust is more art than science. If it goes well, great. If not, it´s better to just start over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had some - it looks so delicious! And the pastry is perfection.


    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete